Friday, May 23, 2014

"Gotcha Day": Dreaming of a Future

Today is "Gotcha Day"! Four years ago our family received Birdy and Elias, forever. We are grateful for all that God has done. And we know because of God, they have a beautiful future... our prayer is they would KNOW it too!
___________________________________________________________________

“Mommy, house much would it be for me to buy the old house?”

He was referring to the two-flat we used to live in and now use as a rental property. I am not too sure where he is going with the line of questioning.

“No never mind. I want to buy a house by the beach when I grow up.”

I am relieved I don’t have to decide on an exact selling price or explain how much money that would actually be to him. I didn’t even get to the concept of real estate taxes and home owners insurance; I am sure they didn’t cover that this year in kindergarten.  

“I am going to buy a boat too.”

I want to discuss the huge responsibility a boat would be. The cost of maintenance and up-keep alone would be like another mortgage payment. Not to mention the huge safety risks that go along with being the owner of a boat. He would need to make sure to have enough life jackets for everyone that gets on the boat. And who knows how much the extra supplies, like skis, is going to tally up to. 

STOP. 


Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember reading from some expert, when your kids dream about their future don’t add logic or the realities of life to it. Just let them dream… and ask more questions.

“So, what will you name your boat? You know a boat has to have a name.” I ask.

“Oh. You know what else? I will have two jet skis. One will be pink and purple for you mommy, when you come to visit. The other one will be blue for daddy to drive around.”

He is dreaming about his future, about a house on the beach and lots of fun things to supply his guests… namely me. He wants me to come visit. He wants me to have fun. And he wants the very best for me when I am with him.

I think what he is trying to say is, “Mommy, I love you.”

Keep dreaming things up, my son. I am so glad to be your mommy... I love you too!

Image source: Google Images: http://drprem.com/life/loose-yourself-in-your-dream-and-let-dreams-inspire-you-for-new-you/

No comments:

Post a Comment