Sunday, June 1, 2014

Celebrating One Year of Letters

I have been writing letters since the fourth grade when my close friend, Kristi Brown, moved away to Florida. We wrote about silly things like movies we saw and new flavors of gum we were trying. Nothing big but at the time it was the only way to stay connected; there was no internet, Face book or even texting. So, hand written letters were flown across the miles for years back and forth. . I can’t say that those letters left any kind of lasting impression on my friend but it was the start of a lifetime of letters for me; I would never be the same.

Letters have filled my life in other forms since then.

*Letters to and from my friend during his four years at West Point

*Letters to & from West Africa & France during specific times in my life when I was living far from home

*Letters to missionaries when I could not be the one to “go”

*And on and on…

It only seemed natural then that I felt God leading me to start a one year letter writing project. I LOVE hand-written letters! It was a discipline of sorts to help me develop my ability to write. I started this blog and kept a list of everyone I wrote to… hoping that I would actually be able to fill up all 365 spaces. I would like to say that “I” did it. But it was truly a project impressed upon me during a time of seeking and prayer to find direction. God directed my path and gave me a great sense of His closeness as I would sit down each day to write.

“Lord, who needs a letter today?” I would ask in prayer and a name would come to mind. As I would pre-write the letter in my head, the Lord gave me His eyes to see things in each person that is beautiful, valuable, and unique!  What a joy to be the “hands and feet” of a God who loves each one of us. My constant prayer and goal was that these letters would be a reflection of the God and creator of each person receiving the letters. And if somehow my words failed in that attempt, I knew with great confidence that at least the included scripture verse would leave a lasting impression.

Today, June 1st, 2014 we leave a stone of remembrance of the completed one year letter project. I have an event on Face book (click to join) to post different things that have occurred throughout the year. I hope people take the time to leave a message about what God has done for them through the letter they received OR the letter they sent out with the stamp I included. I am truly overwhelmed by God’s grace to include me in such an amazing project. I have been blessed beyond measure to be a small part in something that points people closer to their Heavenly Father and King!    

No comments:

Post a Comment