Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Visiting a Childhood Memory: Grandpa's Go-Cart

“Faster Grandpa… Faster!” we squealed with delight loud enough to be heard for blocks. Grandpa pushed the simple wooden go-cart from behind with an orange broomstick while carefully chasing along with us. He gave it one final shove with all that he had and then hopped on the platform in the back, meticulously tucking the broom to the side of the car, carefully held in place with his left hand. The wind gently misplaced our hair in different directions as we cruised down the residential racetrack. The route was a straight shot but dangerous in feat due to the high speeds in which we traveled. The sounds of the wheels crossing over the cracks in the sidewalk clicked faster and faster as the go-cart made its final descent towards the bottom of the mountain. Finally, the imaginary black and white checkered flag waved the finish line at the empty field where the sidewalk came to an end.

When the ride had come to an inevitable halt, we remained on the go cart while my Grandpa stood up, turned us around and pushed us along in the child size vehicle back up the hill with the end of his broom stick. This was his endless acts of service to us as the passengers. He hauled us upward using the full force of his body, as we so effortlessly sat and steered the wooden box back to the starting line. The plastic red steering wheel had a mind of its own and could move us side to side at will but Grandpa’s strong hand behind the broom made sure we safely arrived at the desired destination.

And so it would begin again and again as we, the “race-team”, entered in to the fast paced world on the go-cart, hour after hour with my Grandfather. There were other places we could venture off to but no; the hill on Gareth Lane was the prized route. It was familiar with sights and sounds that would lure us in to a childhood trance of peace and security that could only be felt with Grandpa, and his broom, as the engine that powered the mighty white go-cart.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Recently (many years after the death of my beloved Grandpa) I went back to Gareth Lane to view this favorite childhood place. When I pulled up to the silent, white brick house it did not offer the familiar “welcome” I had known for so many years. I got out of my car and walked to the edge of the driveway to get a closer view of the racetrack again. The path that had supplied so many hours of fun no longer sloped with intensity; the angle was almost undetectable. There was no mountain as I had imagined as a child. Could this be the same place? 


Instinctively, I took off running down the hill anyways. Tears streaming down my face and arms stretched out, I reached towards the sky. I longed to feel the same love and sense of peace as I did when I was with my Grandpa. As I glided over the cracks in the sidewalk I could almost hear an echo from the past beating from inside my chest. He made me feel safe. He made me feel like I was worth his time. More than anything, he made me feel loved! I am forever grateful for the time I had with my Grandpa; he is still dearly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment