Thursday, May 1, 2014

Adoption: Failure Today, Try Again Tomorrow

Zipping around the house, furiously trying to whip the vacuum in to submission as I try to pick up every last piece of dog hair and dust on the wood floor. With my fading sense of dignity I pretend that if my house is clean and orderly, my life will also reflect the same status. Pushing chairs out of the way, reaching out to make sure there is no corner or crack left untouched, I cringe at the waif of defeat seeping in to hidden areas of the house, of my life.

We have had “one of those” days. It was one of those days we wished we didn’t have to address the issue, again. We caught her stealing, and then heard too many lies about it afterwards. She had refused to acknowledge the truth but we knew. We knew what had happened and couldn’t seem to shake the desire to get her to understand the power of her actions. We were desperate to find some kind of logic in this scene but could not. Like the grey hairs sprouting up on my scalp, this is becoming utterly all too familiar these days.   

Yes, she is hurting. She has been hurting her whole life: one betrayal after another; years of abandonment and neglect. Trust broken so many times she may not even recognize trust anymore, even if it grabbed her by the leg and bit her. She is still nestled so closely to her pain that she cannot venture out past it for very long. She holds tightly to its familiarity, reveling in the security of it. Her birth family failed her.

 But tonight, I have failed too. I failed to show compassion to a pain that will not stop resurfacing in my daughter and justifies her bad decisions (in her mind). I failed to see beyond my own feelings of betrayal and hurt because of broken trust. I have failed to see how to teach my daughter to trust (and because of that trust, make better choices), when no one else has done it. I have failed to repair and restore a relationship with love. No matter how much I vacuum tonight, the botched up mess remains.

I creep in to her bedroom and tap on her shoulder. Groggy and reluctant she finally turns towards me; I feebly attempt to speak truth to my daughter, “I want to tell you something… No matter how many times you mess up, I will still be here for you. That’s what families do. We will always be here for you!”

Is it enough? No.
Will something like this happen again? Probably.
Can we start again afresh and new tomorrow? Absolutely!


Image Source: Google Iages http://workingwomenoffaith.com/?p=95

No comments:

Post a Comment