Wednesday, May 21, 2014

I Love Rain!


I love rain.

I love rainy days.

I love thunderstorms & the sound of rain pouring down outside.

Last night we had a beautiful thunderstorm. The weather station even had it rated as pink and purple  on the radar scale (vs. the varying shades of green we see with the typical light rain)… and it was such a welcomed treat. Thunder. Lightening. Even hail. A baseball game had to end early and forced all of us back home, together. As we sat in my dining room as a family watching the hail collect on one of the lawn chairs outside, I was curious what it is about rain that I love so much.

I am an active person. I started exercising about 10 years ago and have enjoyed challenging myself through various races and athletic events. I have 5 children who love playing sports; we spend a lot of our days zipping around from one sporting event to another. I have a husband who is a coach. Add his sports to the calendar and we have quite a hefty load.  So, why would I like rainy days when we are such an active family living life on the go, go, go?

It’s simple: rain forces us to slow down. As much as I enjoy getting things done, I have this deep, secret love for just lying around and doing nothing. Just sitting. Snuggling. Being. The rain is an exempt card from the rat race color coded on my refrigerator calendar. Rain gives automatic permission to skip the zipping around and to just rest. The dark skies and lulling of the rain pitter pattering on the rooftops beckons us to enjoy people, not events.  Rain is less demanding than the dictating sun that presumes a “to do” list in our minds. Rain offers time to just be together instead of do together and it is lovely.

Thank You, Lord, for rain.

Thank You, Lord, for rainy days.


Thank You, Lord, for thunderstorms & the sound of rain pouring down outside
 as we spend time together as a family! 


Image source: Google Images: http://www.banderabulletin.com/news/article_c49dc27c-9bb2-11e1-b79c-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=image&photo=0

No comments:

Post a Comment