Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Our Adoption Story: More Than a Red Shirt

Packing for a trip to a country literally on the other side of the world, to pick up 2 new children to add to our family was bewildering to say the least. The exact climate was a bit unclear. I did not have a firm grasp on what was actually going to unfold during those 7 days and on and on the list goes. How do you plan for something like this? It was just another step in the trust walk of this adoption process. To keep tract of the list of unknowns and uncertainties over the last 2 years leading up to this trip was too great of a task. But somehow, the details continued to fall in to place and encouraging us that God was in fact working everything out.

I just did the best I could, stuffing the suitcase with jeans, shorts and Capri pants. What the heck, variety never hurt anyone, right? I also put in the necessary items to bring our children home; we were instructed to bring clothes for them as well. Anything they were currently wearing belonged to the transitional home called “Layla House” and was to be left there for other children to use. That was fair. Layla House needed that stuff more than we did. Similar to the variety-pack I stockpiled in the suit case for myself, we had collected a variety of sizes for these 2 children that were legally “ours” (per the Ethiopian courts) but we had never met.

After longs hours of travel, settling in to the hotel and receiving our children on a bit of a rushed occasion, we were invited to come back the next morning to Layla House for a more in depth tour and a time of hanging out. We got ready in the cool of the Ethiopian morning. I picked out a comfortable pair of jean Capri pants and a red shirt saying “Inspi-(red)” on it. I don’t know where I acquired it from, probably Goodwill. Red isn't my favorite color against my pasty white skin but the concept that "The Gap" had designed the shirt to help fight against Aids was reason enough to wear it. [Although, the fact that I bought it second hand sort of eludes me from actually being a real part of the cause. But who’s keeping tract.] Our taxi took us to Layla House.

As we unloaded and entered through the door cut in the 10 foot wall surrounding the property I bumped in to one of the few American workers we had met the first day. She was a very outspoken and charismatic person from New Jersey that had a tremendous heart for the mission of this program. We had connected immediately and I knew she was the kind of person I would never forget. She had literally just arrived at work when we saw each other; we both stopped dead in our tracks. How is it possible, someone I had just met, that took up residency on the other side of the globe showed up that morning wearing the exact same shirt? She didn’t just own the same shirt as me... she was wearing it on the same day!
____________________________________________________

God is a God of details. He doesn’t have to put specific color or flair to anything we go through but He delights in doing so. The Bible says He knows the number of hairs on top of our heads. That is not an exciting detail to most people. But it is to God. He knows everything about us. He knows how to remind us and specifically point every situation we go through back to Him. He is there in it! 

He chose to add a special detail of our trip to Ethiopia through that red shirt as a landmark that HE WAS THERE. It was a crazy whirlwind of a trip and even after almost 4 years that have gone by I still cling to the tiny detail of this shirt almost more than anything. I was exhausted from the traveling. I was overwhelmed with the newness of my 2 adopted children. I was unclear how to act and what to do as a new mom. God provided a detail in the heap of doubt and insecurity to breathe a needed sense of life and peace. “I am here with you!”

God is a God of details, specific details designed uniquely for me, designed uniquely for you, designed uniquely for each one of us. May we have eyes to see those details lovingly given from God, who is always with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment