Monday, April 7, 2014

Carrying a Heavy Load?

Walking down a winding, storybook pebble trail I am whistling along enjoying the songs of the birds and gentle breeze on my smiling face. Life is good.

As I continue on I recognize a few things I need to bring along with me on my journey. I pick up a box labeled “family life”; it’s quite a hefty box but its meaning and value cannot be measured. Continuing along I see my gym bag and I know this will keep me fit and healthy; I can’t do without that.  Of course there is my Bible and a box labeled “ministry and service”; this is a different shaped kind of box and it is tough to put it on top of my pile by myself but I just barely manage to get everything balanced and I keep walking. I hear demands being made from inside some of the boxes and I know I must also stack on the box of “part time job”. I mean how else will the kids be able to do all of their activities? Right. OK, so I chuck that box on top; it isn’t too big of a box. It will be fine.  

From out of nowhere comes a small white box that mysteriously lands at the top of my stack labeled “rental property: needs painting and cleaning”; well, it wasn’t what I had planned for today but it’s a really small box that I only see from time to time. It will all be ok. My pace is slowing down but I am still moving. I see a sparkly, red box labeled “small groups”. Well, I must have that one; after all, I am an extrovert and need to be around people. I bet this box actually makes the load lighter. On the side of the box the directions included reading a few books together. Got it.

At this point I don’t know where the birds have gone; I can’t hear them singing anymore and Lord knows my whistling stopped a few boxes ago. But I will manage one step at a time. Just around the next curve in the path I see an odd shaped, rainbow colored box labeled “hobby”; I have been looking for this for such a long time. This box is a treasure and one I cannot be without. Right next to that box is a grey metal container with the word “GOALS” engraved in all capitol letters on the top. Oh yeah; I remember reading in a book that I need to have this one or my life with be meaningless. It isn’t a large container but it certainly is the heaviest one of the whole stack. As I place it on the very top my arms begin to shake uncontrollably. 

I look to the heavens and cry out to God, “Lord, give me strength to carry all of this!

The breeze swirls around the boxes and crosses my face delivering a whisper from my heavenly Father, “I never meant for you to carry all of this; I am the One who is suppose to walk with you along this path and carry it all FOR you!

Pile your troubles on God’s shoulders—
    he’ll carry your load, he’ll help you out.
Psalm 55:22a (The Message)

Prayer: May I daily learn to cast my cares to the One who does not grow weary or tired. He alone is strong enough to carry everything that comes my way. May my arms be willing to release these things to Him and receive the peace and rest that only He can provide!

Image Source: Google Images http://www.mylittlepatchofsunshine.com/2006_12_01_archive.html

No comments:

Post a Comment