Wednesday, November 27, 2013

How do we define "THANKFUL"?

When looking up the word thankful in the dictionary it simply stated: a feeling of being grateful. Naturally I swapped out the word thankful in the “search” box and clicked on it to look up the definition of grateful. It said: a feeling of being thankful. There are some words that are hard to define without using the word itself. Thankful, apparently, is one of those words.

I didn’t get very far with the online dictionary. Continuing on in my effort to find meaning to this holiday, I am challenged to define the word myself. If I had to use my own words to identify the meaning of thankful I would say it is an acknowledgement or an understanding that we have something we neither earned nor deserve and yet are able to reap the benefit of it.  As an illustration, I can express that as a mom, my heart is overflowing with precious thoughts of my children that I am thankful for. What did I do to deserve these 5 gifts in my life? Nothing. I could not create these children on my own; I could not earn the blessing of being a mom. Plain and simple: God is the creator of all things and is the sole factor that has allowed me to be in this position. I am thankful.

As we celebrate this Thanksgiving, may we go beyond making a casual list of things we are happy to own or be a part of.  May we truly acknowledge the Maker of all things, Giver of Life and Lover of our souls.  He has bestowed upon us all good things but most of all salvation. He does not give us what we deserve, what we have earned, or what we can accomplish on our own. He loves us unconditionally and sacrificed His son Jesus to give us unending life in Him.

To be thankful is to praise our Lord and King with our hearts, minds and lives.


Prayer: Our hearts are overwhelmed with praise for ALL You have done, oh Lord! May we be grateful not just on this holiday but every day for all that You give us, even when we don’t deserve the blessings. We are so thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment