Monday, November 11, 2013

The Truth About Adoption

November is National Adoption Month. As a result, for the last 2 Saturdays on my way to work I have been able to listen to story after story on the radio celebrating and promoting adoption. They were the kind of stories that could pull on the heart strings of anyone with a pulse. These warm narratives created images of precious children and declared the power of change that adoption has made over their lives. The words over the broadcast seem to paint a picture of a soft, squishy little cloth storybook we would sit down by the fire with and read to our children before bedtime.  

With your permission, I want to be honest.

Adoption is not a storybook. It is not a cute, cuddly little story with the last page filled with a single happy ending. Not every part of adoption stories can be shared over a cup of hot cocoa and mini marshmallows. There was neglect, malnourishment and trauma for these children that we will never fully know about. Receiving orphans in to your home can be messy, complicated, and down right ugly. Adoption is about reality.

Adoption is not a storybook. It is an ongoing journey, with all kinds of things ranging from throwing fits to dull routines, counseling sessions to missing out on things others get to do but more than anything, lots of unanswered questions. There is not that sweet country song playing in the background to the family slide shows; some memories being made through the struggles of life with adopted children are better off not being captured on film. Adoption is a work in progress.

Adoption is not a storybook. It is a reminder of my own brokenness and sinful nature that once drew me to the Savior. My heart and life was messy, complicated, and down right ugly. I surrendered it all at the foot of the cross. He loved me despite my own failings, took me in and offered me a new life. I didn’t do anything to deserve His love but God loved me anyway. I am His and He is mine. I am forever a member of His family.  Adoption is available to everyone.

Adoption is not a storybook. It is an open door at the end of our own human strength and an invitation to the Almighty to step in and do what I am incapable of doing as a person, as a parent. God takes what is broken and makes it whole. God takes what is hurting and heals it. God takes what is tired and weary and restores it, giving it new life. God takes what are lost and lonely pieces and makes them a family: a forever family!  Adoption is a gift.

Prayer: Lord, I thank you that you adopted me in to Your family. I receive Your love and know that it is all I need. I pray that that love would also carry over in to the lives of the children in my life, adopted and biological. May You receive glory for all that You are doing in our lives together as a family, each and every day.  

“For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love He predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will— to the praise of his glorious grace, which He has freely given us in the One he loves. Ephesians 1:4-6


No comments:

Post a Comment