Monday, February 24, 2014

Sharing My Addiction

I have a problem.

My guess is we all have one or two, maybe three if you are really mixed up.

But I have a problem.

My problem is that I love buying stationary. I confess I have an addiction to buying beautiful paper and cards to mail out to people. Always have. There is a bin in my basement with collected stationary since high school I have saved for just the moment I need it. I also have a drawer full of pretty cards all ready to be signed, sealed and delivered to a person in need of a “word”. One of my fondest memories of my time in France was getting to wander through their paper stores… because France is notorious for having a specialty store for just one kind of thing (Bread. Cheese. Wine. Paper.). How could it get any better than a paper store in France?! I mean really!

And so I think it is only fitting for me to be working on a letter writing project. God has taken something I love and put it to good use. I am dusting off the cards, filling them with something meant for good and mailing them off. I will never see them again but yet there is a great satisfaction in knowing my addiction might actually accomplish something.

So, what are you collecting? What is it that has you captivated and storing up in your house, your heart or your mind? Perhaps it time to open up the floodgates and share it with the masses. God gives us beautiful desires and passions that we cannot help but pursue and store up. But they are not just for the benefit of ourselves. Love fixing things? Great; pop over to a neighbor’s house who needs help. Love reading books? Great; host a book study. Love cooking? Great; I will be by for dinner at 6pm.

Let’s share… and put our addictions to good use!

17 Give this command to those who are rich with the things of this world. Tell them not to be proud. Tell them to hope in God, not their money. Money cannot be trusted, but God takes care of us richly. He gives us everything to enjoy. 18 Tell those who are rich to do good—to be rich in good works. And tell them they should be happy to give and ready to share. 19 By doing this, they will be saving up a treasure for themselves. And that treasure will be a strong foundation on which their future life will be built. They will be able to have the life that is true life.

1 Timothy 6:17-19

No comments:

Post a Comment