Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Dare to Be More Than Average

I have 78 days left in my one year letter writing project. I think that still sounds like a lot, don’t you? But when I do the math and realize I have already completed 287 letters I kind of say to myself, “Eh, that’s pretty good.” Nope. If I continue to do the calculations that is only 78.6% complete. That is a C+ in a high school setting and considered average, at best. Do I want to remain as average? Not a chance.

Starting a project is pretty easy. There is excitement in the newness and the hope of something “big” happening. Finishing a project, well, that’s not as simple. It’s tough. It requires us to push past the fun and get to work. Work. That’s right, I said it. It’s not that I don’t like my letter writing project. I am honored to be a part of it… actually I am truly humbled at all that God has been doing through this project, almost daily! A few examples:
  • ©      The school principle pulling over on the side of the road when she saw me walking the dog to tell me (with tears in her eyes) how much she really needed to hear the pep talk in her letter
  • ©      The married couple crying together and feeling affirmed in their recent prayers by something mentioned in their letter
  • ©      A dear woman of God saying the verse included in her letter has been her life verse for years (I had no way of knowing that… that was God orchestrating those details!)   

For me to actually finish this project will require giving more than “average” and to stretch myself beyond what I thought I would have to when I first started. To finish any project and move ahead of being average means we have to do things like work on days we want to rest, stay up when we want to sleep, go further than the fun stuff and even ask for help. Ahh. I know that last word is scary. Help. Truthfully, I don’t know another 78 people to write to so I can finish this project. But God got me in to this and I know He will HELP. He is gracious to help us complete things we cannot do on our own strength. In the end He gets all of the credit for it as He takes the little we have to offer and does something really amazing with it!  

Is there something gnawing in the back of your mind to do? Something bigger than yourself that God has put on your heart to complete? Are you midway through something but you haven’t quite finished it yet? Let’s do it. Let’s turn off the TV, stop making excuses and just do it. Let’s finish what God has asked us to. With God on our side, we CAN dare to be more than average!  

Prayer: Lord, take my little bit and make it amazing! For Your glory alone. Amen.        

(Image taken from Google Images found on this link: http://www.cbtownside.com/blog/P130/)      

No comments:

Post a Comment