Thursday, January 9, 2014

What can God do through letters?

Eight months ago I started a letter writing project I believe God had birthed in my heart. I have a little less than four months to go before I will have completed the initial project: one hand written letter of encouragement to a different person each day for one year, each with a scripture verse.

One day last week, I had a flashing negative thought: these letters are just a way of trying to gain human approval. The accusation surfaced in my mind, calling to question if sending these letters to people and saying nice or encouraging things was so they might like me. Learning from my husband’s example of not getting defensive but always looking for truth first, I asked myself if it was true. I did a heart check.

Motives:
First and foremost: to follow God’s leading in hopes to bring Him glory
Secondly: to “hearten”, meaning to incite others with courage or good cheer
Third: lots of practice writing

After personal reflection the negative thought holds no weight. To prove matters even more, when when I receive feedback today from someone I sent a letter to, I am even more certain this project has nothing to do with me and what I can get out of it but all about God and pointing people to their Him:

“Words alone cannot begin to express my heartfelt gratitude for your kind words I so desperately needed to hear and read the scripture you included in your note. I have recently renewed my faith in God and putting all of my trust in Him. During the past 4 years I’ve lost my mom, sister and recently my dad… difficult as it is, I know they are at peace with our Heavenly Father. I will pray for you daily as well as for your family. God is at the center of my life. Thank you and God bless.”  

I am overwhelmed at what God IS doing through this project!
To God alone be the glory for loving us, even through the feeble efforts of letter writing.


No comments:

Post a Comment