Tuesday, December 24, 2013

What Mary Might Have Been Thinking on This Night

My own rendition of what Mary may have been thinking on the night Jesus was born...

"It was just like any other day. I had helped out my mom in the kitchen for hours, preparing food and collecting water. It was hot and my feet had swelled in the sandals that were just a little too tight. There wasn’t anything special about the day. Truthfully, there wasn’t anything special about me. I am young and was just sticking to the ordinary life I was given. Sure, I was engaged to Joseph. That was exciting but I was nervous too. I didn’t know him very well; my dad had arranged the marriage.

But when the angel appeared to me I knew my life would never be the same. He was a majestic creature, covered in feathers and empowered by a shining light all around him. His lips did not move but he spoke in a voice that drove straight in to the deepest part of my spirit. He began to tell me I would bear a son; that son would be great and rule over a kingdom that has no end. What? I didn’t understand.  I was a virgin. I didn’t know anything about being a mom to a normal child, let alone the son of the Most High. My hands began to tremble and in disbelief, I shut my eyes and lowered my head.  I felt as if the weight of the world had just been put on my shoulders. My legs buckled and I fell to my knees. I was terrified. But as the blessed angel spoke to me his heavenly message began to whisper away my fears with four words “Do not be afraid.” 

At that declaration, I raised my head. Who am I? Who am I to be chosen this holy task? Who I am to raise this child that will be the Savior we have long awaited for? Who am I to say “no” to God? As the reality of the situation began to set in, my heart leapt and my body shook with joy. One by one I bent my legs, then straightened them as I stood up. Raising my head and with my arms outstretched high, I had no other response to the angel except, “I am the Lord’s servant. May your word to me be fulfilled.”
I cannot comprehend the events that have brought me to this place; I cannot grasp all of the ways of God. I can tell you we had to come here to Bethlehem for the census. It figures it would be the exact same time I was expecting this baby. Joseph has been wonderful and led us the whole way on this long journey. When we got here, I was exhausted beyond what words can explain. I didn’t even mind staying here in this barn, this hay filled stable shared with cows and goats. I just wanted to rest. The labor was painful, twisting and tightening the flesh of my womb, as if ripping and tearing out every ounce of strength within me. At the awaited moment the baby was coming, I held Joseph's hand as tight as I could, holding to a confidence that this would be just as it was predicted. With a low and quiet moan, I mustered one final push and slowly the baby arrived.   


My son, who was to be named Jesus, was born! I reached out and pulled him up to my chest… but it was I that was drawn-in to Him.  I wrapped my arms tightly around Him but somehow felt surrounded by His presence. He has 10 fingers, 10 toes and is so tiny just like other babies I have seen before but this is not an ordinary child. He has an undeniable strength, limitless in His existence. There is a seriousness about Him as if He already knows the weight of His birth is more than any scale can measure. I am His mom but I am compelled to follow His lead. Instantly my heart has surrendered to Him. I am in awe and compelled to worship this divine Child. He has captivated my soul and I want to sing along with the unknown voices all around me already praising Him. It is nighttime but it is not dark; with this birth a light has dawned and a new hope is all around us. A lost and broken world can rejoice as we receive this child. A savior has come; His name is Jesus and He is Christ the Lord!"

No comments:

Post a Comment