Friday, November 21, 2014

Are Pastors More "Christian" than the Rest of Us?


Are people in the “ministry” more Christian than the rest of us? If we are honest, I bet most of us are on the same lines of thinking: pastors and missionaries are doing God’s work, the sacred work of God. The rest of us who work at regular old jobs, live regular old lives are a little lesser than “sacred”.

One of my favorite subjects to read and study about is “calling”. What are you passionate about and called to do? Then, how to do you get to the point of doing it? I have read numerous books. I have listened to countless sermons on the subject. I have prayed endless prayers and sat through various classes and seminars. I have had many, many discussions and encouraged others to pursue their divine purpose right along with me.

Today I heard a sermon entitled Whatever by Louie Giglio (Passion City Church) that added an incredibly insightful twist on the subject of passion and calling. In my various pursuits to discover a calling and to make an impact on the world, I have never heard it worded quite this way before:

“It is not what you do that determines whether your work is sacred or secular,
 it is why you do it (it is the motive).”

If “whatever” you are doing makes you come alive and your motive is to bring glory to God, than you are living your calling. It is the sacred work God has asked YOU to do! How simple. How invigorating. How easy a load to carry. What a divine difference we can make right where we are at… every single one of us!!

(Maybe you already knew this. But I needed to hear it; I thought it was worth sharing.)


“And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.  Colossians 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment