Friday, February 26, 2016

How to Find Rest in a Busy Day?


He climbs in to the bed and slinks his tiny little body right next to mine. It doesn’t matter that we had been frustrated with each other the night before. All is forgotten and it is a new day. He gently places his little head next to my shoulder and snuggles close. He grabs my hands and creates a rhythm as he squeezes it to let me know he is there.

Squeeze. Squeeze. Shuffle. Shuffle. Squeeze.

Shuffle. Squeeze. Squeeze. Shuffle.

His eyes are shut but his body is in motion. Constant motion. He cannot rest.  Does he know I am his mom and I will help take care of him? Isn’t that knowledge enough to quiet his soul and allow him to sleep?  I will do everything I can to make sure he has all that he needs. He can rest, assured he is not alone and he does not have to worry.  I roll over and whisper, “Be still, my son.”

In all honesty my eyes are shut too; my body is not moving but my mind is in constant motion. In the wake of my son’s movements I begin to calculate the day’s events and strategize the family schedule. Plotting and planning how to get everything done.  I cannot rest. Then, suddenly, in the quiet of the room I am reminded of the TRUTH.  Just like I will do for my son, God will make sure I have all that I need to get through the day. I can rest, assured that I am not alone and I do not have to worry. My Heavenly Father whispers to me, “Be still my daughter, and know that I am God.”

That knowledge is enough to quiet my soul. Today I will rest in God.


Prayer: Thank you Lord for Your gentle reminders that you care for each one of us. There is no need to fret or worry… You have everything under control. May we receive Your peace to help us get through each day… especially the busy ones! Amen.

Image source: https://www.etsy.com/listing/87743403/vinyl-wall-decalbe-still-and-know-that-i

No comments:

Post a Comment