Friday, August 30, 2013

Update: Letter Writing Project

By the end of tomorrow I will have completed 4 full months of this letter writing project. It has become a discipline: to be diligent to write one letter to a different person every single day (which did not sound like much of a time commitment before I started). I hesitate in even using the word “discipline” because it makes it sound like drudgery. This letter writing project is anything but that.

 As I sit down to write each day and truly spend time considering the exact thoughts I would like to share with the person on the receiving end, I find that it is not a quick task. My contemplation whisks me away to so many thoughts and almost every time, tears (of joy), about who this person is, all of the wonderful things God has made in them and why I am so blessed to have them in my life. I don’t want to lightly scribble words and send off a mass mailer each day; I want each card to be as unique as the recipient. The word HEARTEN is a verb, an action word meaning to GIVE courage or good cheer; to encourage. I want to give of myself and send a small fragment of my heart with each one of these letters to build up and encourage this beloved person.

So, do they know my revealed heart as they open the letters? I don’t always know. Some have acknowledged in passing to me, “Oh, I got your letter.” Some say a quick thanks or even mention who they may send a letter to using the stamp I included; that is exciting to hear. But most do not respond at all. That’s OK. God knows the plans He has for this project and I rest in that, not the feedback I receive or don’t receive.

But sometimes… every now and then… my heart bursts at the response such as the one that was given to me today: “Thanks again for your encouragement card. My heart IS heartened!”  I am overwhelmed with joy!


Prayer: Lord, help me find the time each day to invest in these letters. Then, as I mail them off may they delight the souls of those who receive them. May they be encouraged and their joy renewed, even if for only a moment. Life is not easy but may we continue to find ways to share with each other the love You have given to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment